Setting up the Windows Media Player Plug-In on Firefox & Chrome
If Windows media player has not been installed on your internet browser and you visit a page that links to a Windows media radio stream, the browser will normally detect that the plug-in is missing. In this situation, you will be prompted to install the media player plug-in. The prompt will typically appear at the top of the page.
In some cases, when there is no sound because of that missing Windows media player plug-in, the browser may not show a prompt for downloading the plug-in. Then, you can install the plug-in manually by taking these steps:
For a System Operating on Microsoft Windows:
Here, you will have to click on the text ‘Download Now’.
For the download to be successful, you will have to close other browsers.
The file will automatically download. The browser will show the state of downloading in a bar at the bottom of the screen.
Once the download is complete, click on the bar where the file name is shown.
A dialogue box asking you whether you want the file to make changes to the computer, and whether you want to open it will appear. Click ‘Yes’.
A Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin Setup installation wizard will appear on the screen. Click ‘Next’, and it will take you to the next page.
Click in the box marked ‘I accept the terms in the License Agreement’, and on the button marked ‘Next’.
On the next page, click ‘Install’ and the media player plug-in will be installed in to Firefox or the Google Chrome browser on your computer.
For Mac Systems:
- Go to this site: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/windows-media-player/wmcomponents.
- You will have to install Flip4Mac. For this, click on the message ‘Free Download’.
- In the download bar, click ‘Save’. This will confirm that you want to download the file.
- Next, mount the file (.dmg) and click on ‘Flip4Mac WMV.mpkg’.
- The screen will guide you through the complete installation process.
- Close and re-start Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Go to the plug-ins page through about:plugins.
It will feature a list of plug-ins, of which Flip4Mac will be one. Click on the button marked ‘enable’ below it to complete the installation.